S2AS - News

Wednesday 31 August 2011

New S2AS Team Rider: Bex Harris

Local Spot: Poole, Dorset.

Favourite Kitesurfing Location: Coche, Venezuela.

Favourite trick: Big air.

Trick I aim to learn: S-Bends. The day that I nail these will be a very good day!

Best Kiting Moment: Night kiting under a full moon in Isla Margarita, Venezuela.

Most Epic Fail: Ah there have been a few! Not noticing a boat’s anchor line in time… me one side, kite the other…enough said!

How I got into kiting:

I have always lived by the coast so grew up addicted to the sea. When I first saw kitesurfers in Poole Harbour I knew it was a sport I wanted to be part of and so I quickly got involved.

I then went off to Uni in Loughborough which is pretty landlocked so put kiting on hold and joined the wakeboard community, hitting the cables around the country and having a great time! But I am definitely a beach girl at heart so moved back to the coast and made the transition to concentrate on my Kitesurfing. I love the freedom of wave riding whilst nothing can beat the adrenaline kick you get from old school big airs through to kiting freestyle and landing new tricks.

I kite with a brilliant bunch of people who push one another to develop so there is always great progression and fantastic banter when you bail!

I am always the first on the water and last off at the end of a great day, and have landed myself the name Kite Barbie due to my blonde hair!! But don’t be fooled, I am not afraid to take some hard bails in the process of learning something new, and you are guaranteed to see a massive grin on my face after each session.

Non windy days…

I am currently training to be an accountant, so am kept very busy in the week with work and studying. I drive my colleagues insane by constantly chatting about getting out onto the water or daydreaming and staring at the windy tree. I also love my running and swimming so am really a non stop ball of energy!

Next Steps:

I am very excited to be representing the female side of the sport for the S2AS Team and working alongside Angelo and the rest of the team. But what is also important to me is getting more girls confident in their kiting and growing the female kite community, so if you are keen to get involved then grab me on the beach, I’m happy to help.

See you down the beach!